Owning a contractor business can be risky and hectic at the same time. There are possibilities and chances of injuries and property damage on the job site. This is why a contractor should have proper insurance coverage that will help lower the risk of losing money. Contractor insurance is also required for the companies that a contractor is subcontracting for. The construction boards often require this policy to cover all the expenses on the construction site.
Here are the different insurances that a contractor consider getting –
- Commercial liability insurance: It is one of the most common insurance for contractors. It can offer coverage against claims made by third parties against any property damage or physical injury as well. Not only the compensation, but they also cover the legal expenses during litigation.
- Contractors’ pollution insurance: Each and every builder is bound to follow certain strict environmental laws depending on the location. There is always a risk for a contractor to get sued by a third party for violating the environmental rules. Having pollution insurance a contractor can protect the builders against such claims without affecting their business.
- Workers compensation: This is another important coverage policy that ensures the safety of the workers employed on the working site. Straying from the medical treatment, rehabilitation costs, to family compensations, all can be covered by this policy. It will make sure that the family of the deceased or the injured is protected.
- Builder’s risk insurance: There are lots of materials and equipment that can be damaged, stolen, or lost from the construction site. This is why a contract should have a builder’s risk insurance that will keep the builders and contractors financially protected.
- Roofers insurance: It is a type of general liability insurance that is ideal for roofing contractors who are involved in a workplace accident that may cause physical injury or property damage.
Benefits of having an insurance
There are several benefits or advantages of having such insurances that one should know before having one. Here are some of them –
- The most obvious benefit of such insurance is protection against the unexpected. Accidents can happen anytime and such insurances provide mental satisfaction in case any unfortunate incident occurs.
- Large contracts can be beneficial for a company’s better growth. Having a general liability insurance policy can help gain more contracts by keeping a contractor to stay on top of the competition.
- Data security is very important in the construction field. Contractor insurance can secure electronic data like customer name, address plans, etc.
These were different types of contractor insurances. Don’t wait until an accident occurs, choose suitable insurance that will be the best. Hope the information was enough to understand the importance of having the right amount of insurance coverage. Be it equipment coverage or worker’s compensation, they all are important at the same time. So follow these tips and secure the business in advance.